Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Got Eggs?

We have friends with a farm...........

The Happy Lil Homestead has some chickens that make some tasty eggs.

Thanks to these great little layers, I have roughly 7 1/2 dozen eggs in my fridge right now, and that means I am looking for tasty new ways to eat eggs.  Let's face it, one can only eat so many fried or scrambled eggs.

At first I thought frittata.  ( Eggs baked in a large skillet in the oven )
Good idea, but the pan isn't really big enough to feed a family of 6 and I am looking to use more than 4 eggs in a meal.

Then there is the ever present quiche.....baked eggs in a crust.....   I am married to a kill it and grill it kind of guy.....  If I told him we were having quiche for dinner..... he might,  well........  lets just say there would be much scoffing and laughter.

That was my mission....figure out how to bake some eggs up.... use at least 18 in the dish, make the meal meat-eating-man friendly...........and keep the teenager from trolling the cupboards again in 30 minutes.


Here is what I whipped up.... 


Set the oven to 400 and leave it to pre-heat.

Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 glass pan.  Grease it good now, you don't want the eggs to stick!

Fry up a pound or so of your favorite sausage.  Set that aside to cool for a bit.

Crack up a bazillion eggs (18 -20) into a big mixing bowl.

Give your 8 year old the whisk and tell him to get at it.  Remind him not to spill.

As he is taking out all his wiggles on the eggs....

grate up about a cup of cheddar cheese.

throw it in the bowl with the eggs...tell him to keep mixing...

pour in about a cup of milk into the bowl....  yup... have him keep mixing

( at this point you really could add other things your family likes... mushrooms, cilantro, onions, spinach, some hash browns.... whatever sounds good )


the eggs should be good and mixed about the time the 8 year old tells you that his arm is going to fall off if he has to keep whisking....

Slowly add in the cooled sausage... a bit of salt and pepper, and you guessed it.....  tell him he is on the home stretch.... just a little more mixing
..........just when you have decided his arm might really fall off....
Pour the mixture into the pre-greased pan.

Bake at 400 for about 35 minutes.... ( when I bake eggs like this I use some steam to help.  I place my broiler pan with a cup or so of water in it... on the rack right below my pan of eggs...  this keeps my eggs from drying out when they are cooking.... nobody likes dusty, dried out eggs ! )

See, like this......


after 35 minutes, top dinner with more grated cheese....
Why?...
......... because you can.
and melted cheese is really yummy..... now put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so....

Take it out, cut into squares and eat .... careful not to burn the roof of your mouth.... because that really hurts.



Enjoy!!!!!!!

( P.S.  I guess it is still technically a frittata.... just in a family friendly sized pan.)

1 comment:

  1. Yum and YUM! Minus the sausage for me, since I'm all pescoveg now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by, I look forward to your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...